Metro Memphis has historically been challenged.
- The region ranks 91st out of 100-largest metros in high-tech industry employment.
- The region ranks 73rd in in ratio of business births-to-deaths.
- The region ranks 59th in academic research expenditures and 57th in patent applications.
However, Improvements are evident.
In 2012, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, the University of Tennessee and the University of Memphis:
- Attracted $453,000,000 of research funding
- Produced 72 invention disclosures
- Licensed 36 technologies
In 2012, Memphis Bioworks Foundation, StartCo. and EmergeMemphis:
- Screened over 300 startups
- Provided 6,800 mentor hours
- Accelerated 30 new companies