Geographic expansion and related infrastructure investments for this expansion have outpaced overall economic growth. Two-thirds of recent regional job growth has occurred in suburban counties. Population density is very low, uses are segregated and infrastructure between uses is costly. City of Memphis population density has declined from 7,780 people per square mile in 1950 to 1,915 today.
Overall regional employment, while largely in Shelby County, is highly decentralized.
- Airport Area – 7%
- Southeast Memphis Warehouse Area – 6%
- Central Business District – 4%
- Downtown Medical District – 4%
- East Memphis Medical District – 3%
- Tunica County Gaming Facilities –2%
- 74% of employees are dispersed throughout the area with few definable concentrations.