Assets & Challenges
- Memphis & Shelby County have world-class freight transportation infrastructure, but logistics alone drives market competitiveness.
- The region has a strong biomedical and surgical devices cluster, but overall industrial diversity is declining.
- Promising workforce development programs exist, but overall workforce skills are not aligned with industry.
- There are respected research institutions and an emerging innovation ecosystem, but R&D has weak partner networks and lacks resources.
- Demand exists for strategically located development sites, but geographic expansion continues to outpace regional economic growth.
- The region has unrivaled international trade infrastructure, but expansion opportunities through exporting are not adequately supported.
- Numerous public, private and civic partners exist, but initiatives are fragmented and market analysis capacity is limited.